My Grand Backyard

I live in the Grand Valley, a wide expanse of western Colorado desert bordered by the canyons and red rock monoliths of the Colorado National Monument to the south; the Grand Mesa (largest mesa in the world), with an elevation of 11,000 feet to the east; and, to the north, the 200 mile long Bookcliff Range. And, as if that weren’t enough, the Colorado River carves a path through this valley on its way to Utah and beyond.

Each of these gems–the desert, the Monument, the Mesa, the river–is a unique portion of my vast backyard into which I can step and lose myself at any time. Early mornings, trail running in the dark. Blazing hot days tempered by a float down the river. Strenuous climbs, with breathtaking views of the valley below. Time in the snowy desert on a sunny winter afternoon. And, like this past weekend, a hike to another world, though it is right there, right out there in my backyard.

What’s in your backyard?

14 Comments (+add yours?)

1. farfetchedfriends
    Nov 05, 2013 @ 15:02:36

What a beautiful sky! I love those bright blue sky days. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

2. theclocktowersunset
    Nov 05, 2013 @ 16:14:16

Seeing those great expanses of open space bookmarked on both sides, I’d be forced to cross it. I think I could make it. Have you even walked form one side of those pics to the other?

3. Deborah
    Nov 05, 2013 @ 16:56:06

Absolutely stunning! My backyard? The parking lot for the Guishan Township Office. haha

4. culturemonk
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 17:12:05

Those pic r pretty incredible…..I was in Denver a couple months ago….it definitely didn’t look that

5. culturemonk
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 17:13:24

*didn’t look that beautiful compared to your part of Colorado

6. Paula
    Nov 16, 2013 @ 03:58:28

My backyard can’t compare with yours :D. These sights and photos are just breathtaking!!!

7. Rob
    Jan 11, 2015 @ 12:55:30

I work with the Cross Watershed Network. The network is made to protect and conserve watersheds across the southwest.
    I am making a video to promote the network and was wondering if/ with attribution I could use your great photo of the Grand Junction Valley? Also, please log into the network and join us. Rob

Kindly Leave a Thought:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s