Dirt (and Dead Plants) Never Looked So Good

It snowed in early December, quite a bit for the western edge of Colorado, maybe five or six inches. And then, a few days later, it snowed again. I remember it being lovely and welcoming it, like we always do with every first snowfall of the season.

Its depth and whiteness and blanketing effect stuck around for most of the winter, never melting, overstaying its welcome.

And then the weather began warming up. The next precipitation we got was rain. Rain in winter. Rain at 33 degrees.

This past week it got into the 50s. The dirt in my front yard–actually it’s crushed granite I spread between the little plants I put in two summers ago when I xeriscaped my yard–was revealed, bit by bit, until this weekend when, finally, all the snow was gone. I said hello to my plants, which had been buried all winter.

When I pull up to my house now, what I see is dirt and little dead plants, and let me tell you, it’s a beautiful sight.

Spring is supposed to be green and colorful and bursting with life. And it will be. When it arrives. For now, it’s the tail end of winter and it’s all gray and still dead, but it looks good. Real good.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. theclocktowersunset
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 05:11:22

Digging the flamingo, 🙂 can’t wait to see the green come in.

2. Beauty Along the Road
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 19:21:13

Every little bit of plant life that peeks through the snow or is revealed again after it melts brings us that much closer to spring 🙂

3. Jaspa
    Mar 02, 2014 @ 09:18:47

We’re still buried in snow here in Ontario!

• randee
      Mar 02, 2014 @ 12:54:33

I know. So is half of the U.S. And we may get more. But whatever we do get, it won’t stick around for long. Spring is definitely just around the corner here. Thanks for reading!

4. betunada
    Mar 08, 2014 @ 15:58:47

you ‘n “betty” — the nevernending gardening perpetual endeavor. i had to “help” with it today. whew!

• randee
      Mar 08, 2014 @ 16:25:42

I was never into yards and yard work until I did my own landscaping and started a bunch of these plants as little babies. Now, I love to sit out front and just watch my plants grow (in the summer when I’m not teaching and have the time). It’s pretty low maintenance.

Kindly Leave a Thought:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s